Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Word of the Day: Hmmm

I just shipped off my roommate back to her hometown in Oregon. This is now officially the beginning of my not-school life, and it feels weird. Ever since I got home on Thursday, I keep feeling like I need to get ready to drive back in a few days. And I keep laughing at little inside joke things--or making little inside joke things--that I forget normal people don't understand. How do you explain to people that "DK" means failure, or that "Wrong answer!" isn't actually an insult? I tried to impart the joy that was Mario Party on a humongous screen, but it so falls short of the actual event. And then of course there's sky monster, and Eric's laugh, and Betsy's funny noises, and BMW episodes, and Friends episodes, and long walks in the rain, and long geeky talks about theatre, and freaking out (slightly) about American Idol, and being able to borrow practically any movie you could possibly want to watch...College is a unique place.

So is my house, though. I really missed our inside jokes, too. Well, and the people, of course. I called my brother from a rest stop on the way home to tell everyone I'd be later than I'd planned (I'd of course no idea how late, because I hadn't really planned on missing that turn-off and adding an extra hour to my drive time) and he said "Okay-bee" which is from...well, nevermind. Anyway, I got all excited that now I can use my old, family inside jokes. And I can hang out with my mom, and go to all the cute restaurants, and sit around and play video games or read and not feel guilty for procrastinating, and catch up with my brothers and my dad on what's going on in their lives, and cuddle with my cat...It's kind of odd to be sooo happy to be in one place, yet miss the other.

Life is kind of a weird place. I guess that's okay, though. I pretty much like it anyway.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lindsay,

Clearly, DK does not mean failure... I mean, when we brought him to victory that late night after the cast party, all doubts about the hairy ape (or the man inside his costupe) and his 'failure' status was wiped from my mind. He is clearly a winner. He just needed people like us to help him along! :-P Hope all is well. And, just so you know, I think there is a boredom epidemic running around. We must have all got it from NWC.

Larse

5/24/2005 2:59 PM  
Blogger D said...

Love the blog title/concept.

8/10/2005 7:45 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Thanks, Dorian! Also, thanks for being a real person and not a spam robot.

8/11/2005 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home