Friday, May 20, 2005

Poetry

My mother and I went for a walk in a wooded park just outside of town, and what we found when we got home resulted in this wondrous literary achievement:

Today we walked
(cause we should)
Walked in a wood
(it was good)
We crossed a stream
And then, I deem,
We stepped into
And walked right through
A family's nest.
They thought it best
To cling to us.
I know because
When we were back in
I checked my skin
And I found some ticks.
They numbered six.
I let out a shout
And plucked them out
And I put them, in time,
In a little rhyme
That doesn't actually rhyme at all
In the last little bit.

And there you have it, folks. The most amazing example of literary genius this side of the Mississippi. But seriously, all poetics aside, I really did find six ticks. And if anyone can think of a creature more disgusting than a tick, let me know. I dare you. When I found the first one I had to go into an elaborate ritual to drum up enough courage to touch it, even with the tweezers. I freely admit--I'm not ashamed--this included jumping up and down and screaming like a girl. Go ahead. Laugh. But let this be a warning to you to wear long sleeves and bug spray the next time you venture out for some fresh air. Because you never know when a tick might be waiting for you...

I watched Finding Neverland with my parents tonight. It was nice, because I noticed a whole bunch of things I never realized before, and it's really a fantastically made movie. I love how intrically the plot is woven together. And I think so much of the diologue is just beautiful. I approve.

Goodnight friends.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dust mites. Dust mites are more disgusting than ticks becasue they're the same kind of little bug only smaller so you swallow them and stuff. I can tell you lots of gross things about dust mites. Sorry to be gross but lice are grosser than ticks as well. I mean common your found 6 ticks you would find hundreds of lice. Okay this comment is just disgusting. I'm sorry, but I love you and we need to hang out. How far of a drive is Des Moines for you again? And where's half way between Grinnell and Clarinda? oh P.S. this is Marly.

5/21/2005 10:14 PM  
Blogger Beloved Meadow said...

I can tell you a bunch of gross stuff about dust mites too! I can even send you a paper I wrote..oh wait - no I can't - it's on the I-drive at school.. which I obviously can't get to, being in Colorado an' all.
I'm sorry about the six ticks. My brother had one once when we were on vacation in South Dakota...it was nasty. You should move out to Colorado - they're alot more scarce here. But then, you're coming here in September, with me, to see WICKED!!!!! (I'm more than a bit exicted!)
Miss you tons!
ALL

5/21/2005 11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tapeworms. i win.

5/23/2005 12:30 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

You guys are gross. Good poem, Butt. I laughed. With my face. I may give in to my dislike for the telephone and call you soon. And we can be inadequate talkers together. *sigh*

5/23/2005 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home