Saturday, May 28, 2005

The One That Got Away...

I am at Marly's house as we speak. Or type. Or whatever. Guess what we did today? Give up? We went on the paddle boat on the lake behind her house and...we went fishing!! I have never fished before in my life. It was an adventure.

We began with a casting lesson. I'm good at it. Sometimes. Sometimes not. But I try hard. Anyway, so we went in the boat and I fished. I cast my line into the water like a pro, and then we "trolled" through the water. And then my line got caught on something...or rather, something got caught on my line. Marly said, "A fish! Lindsay, you caught a fish! Reel in, reel in!" So I reeled in. And then I discovered yet another unknown phobia of mine. I--for whatever reason--could not stand the thought of seeing my fish when it wasn't safely in a tank. So, I reeled in with my eyes closed, making ridiculous little girly noises the whole time. I know. It's pathetic. Don't judge me. Luckily, before I got the fish reeled all the way in, the wily creature escaped. Marly was disappointed. I was too...only not really, because I was too relieved not to have to look at it. Grin.

Then Marly caught one too. It was a big one. I saw it, but it was okay, because it was on her line and she was on the other side of the boat from me. Apparently, however, it had taken the same class as mine, because just as it broke the surface of the water, it slipped off back into the lake. That time we were both really for real disappointed. Marly wanted to kiss it. Who can fathom the mysteries of the Marly-brain?

I've decided I like fishing. I don't really want to actually catch anything, but sitting out there in the boat with a fishing pole, casting and re-casting, is really very peaceful and enjoyable. Maybe next time I'll fish with just a string and a rock on my pole, so that the rock will pull the line so that I can cast, but won't attract any of those scary fish.

I know, I'm ridiculous. But then, so is life. I'm just trying to blend in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home