Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Dangers of Creative Energy, Misapplied

It's amazing what can be accomplished in class if you don't actually listen to the lecture. Look, I wrote haikus!

April 3rd, 2006

Wide, blazing blue skies
Chill with the stubborn wind of
Lingering winter,

Yet still promising
The arrival of a Spring
New, fresh, reborn, free.

The chains on my mind
Begin to wilt, to release
And wave in the breeze.

Did you catch the revolting sentimentality? Yeah, me too. Here's the next one. I made sure to go heavy on the cliche on this one, too. You know, stick with a pattern.


Awaiting the Sensation of a Short, Sharp Shock

I sit in the dark
The walls of my prison smooth,
Impenetrable.

Self-erected, closed
Around me like the walls of
Jericho; thick, tall.

Felled, too, by a cry
A cry I can't remember
How to execute.

Executed long
Before, by that hangman's noose
Called necessity.

And what once saved me
Now oppresses me, grips me,
Keeps me behind bars

Alienating
Those who do not deserve it
And can't understand.


And there you have it, folks: morose, sentimental, and cliche. Just like me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rabies said...

If these poems had been published in a literature textbook I may have found them cliche simply out of bitterness for the fact that I had to read 150 of them by the next day. But since they are not and are instead on the blog of a butt who's a very good friend of mine, I find them beautiful and inspiring. Why? Because I've only just realized that the cases and circumstances that arouse these sentiments that have found their way into the conscious world in the form of beautifully arranged words are different for each poet. Thus, while a few of the sentiments may seem similar to those of others, they are different and unique to the author. Your poems are not cliche, sappy, or anything of the kind. They are beautiful. So there.
P.S. Sorry for the long post.

4/06/2006 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home