Sunday, April 09, 2006

Today I Walked With You

Today I walked with you
All the way up the puddle jumper trail
And back again.

I noticed that the grass was green again
And I studied the still brown fields,
Hoping to see traces
Of tiny shoots, bright with that new green
That you love so much.

(I know you love it, because
When I look at it, my heart is filled
With ripples of your delight.)

The wind was so strong.
Sometimes it literally pushed me off balance
Or redirected my steps. I leaned into it
And felt like I was leaning into you.



As we walked, I told you
What I hated about myself.

You told me
What you loved about me.

I told you what I was
Afraid of.

You told me what you
Had done for me.

I told you what I couldn't fix.
You told me what you could.



The trail cut sharply
Into the side of a small hill, and
Just for a moment, I pretended
I was a hobbit
Hiding from a Ringwraith
On my way to Bree.

(Only a moment, and then
My voice echoed yours
In laughter at my ridiculousness.)



I looked around me,
At the beauty of the better-late-than-never Spring,
And I told you I wanted to make art,
Great art,
And I begged you to make me worthy
Of opportunities to do so.

You told me what I was asking.

I asked you to tell me
What you had planned for me
What you wanted me to do.

And you were silent.

And I thanked you that
There was a plan--
That I could be wrong but at least I would know
That there was a right way,
Somewhere.
And I wondered why that was comforting.



Today you walked with me
All the way up the puddle jumper trail
And back again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rabies said...

"My heart is filled with ripples of your delight." Some people like to paint a beautiful picture that is worth a thousand words. You, Lindsay, can use a thousand words (or less) to paint a beautiful picture. Thank you for taking me there with you through this poem. I heart you.

4/10/2006 2:46 AM  
Blogger Beloved Meadow said...

Sigh - you're a poet, and well, amazing. Thank you.

4/10/2006 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home