Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Spamming Reaches New Lows

So, I go to check my email today, and I get all excited because there were FIVE comments made on my last blog and I think to myself, "Wow! People like me!" but then I go to look at said comments and discover four of them are patterned after this model, or a close variation:

"Loved your Blog! Fantastic job. Hey, come visit my blog, link to some weird website, like Free Software! or DISCOVERING XBOX 360 SECRETS!"

One of them even tried to coax me into visiting their website devoted to methods for the prevention of premature ejaculation, which--I don't mean to brag--has never given me a problem.

So now I'm like, hold on a second! Spam blog comments? That's really low. There's nothing worse than tricking someone into thinking they have friends and then bringing up the awkward and, I understand, occasionally painful subject of erectile dysfunction. It's worse than being woken up from a nap by phone calls trying to get you to sign up for credit cards you don't want. What is going on with this country? It's bad enough that computers now need to be equipped with spyware protection in order to surf the web without being bombarded by pop-up ads, households need to sign up for the "No Call List" to avoid having their naps interrupted by telemarketers, and probably half of the nation's landfills are full of junk mail, but now we can't even safely use an online journal without being harassed by those wanting us to buy things we don't need or want.

This entry was going to detail the fabulous trip I just returned from, but now my anti-capitalist indignation (and the time I had to take deleting the unwanted comments) has used up the half hour I gave myself to blog before getting stuff done. I say Thoreau had the right idea. If you want me, I'll be in some obscure wooded area, eating roots and berries.

5 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I agree that spam comments are total crap. Really disappointing to think you have thoughtful comments when you don't.

8/10/2005 7:40 PM  
Blogger Beloved Meadow said...

LINDSAY!!!!!
I miss you my friend. Thank you for the entertaining and thoughtful blog. I'll get to see you in less than 10 days! WOOHOO!
Love you,
Amy Leigh

8/12/2005 5:02 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Hello, love the blog. Please visit my site concerning people trying to hand me their urine as I work my desk job at Mayo Clinic. Also, way to go about the non-dysfunction.

8/14/2005 10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tried calling you once or twice in the past week. no answer. but regardless I'll be seeing you in a few days, and that will be wonderful.

8/17/2005 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

October 12-16 is the show.
When do you start school?
Do you want me to mail you your camera from DDC?
MISS YOU
cynthia marie

8/18/2005 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home